Exchange Student Checklist
J-1 visa status requirements for exchange program students.
It is recommended to allot three months of preparation prior to the anticipated start date at Adelphi to process all documentation. Below are the steps needed from the exchange student and / or the university department in order to receive the form DS-2019. You should also review the Exchange Student Protocol from the Center for International Education.
The Office of International Student Services visiting and/or exchange students processing checklist:
Step 1: To Be Submitted to the Office of International Student Services by the Center for International Education
Step 2: To Be Submitted by the Exchange Student to the Center for International Education
- Form DS-2019: Request for a Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (PDF)
- Affidavit of Support for Exchange Visitor Visa (J-1) (PDF)
- Completed by the financial sponsor of the exchange visitor
- Must have original signature by sponsor
- Must include the amount of sponsorship being offered which includes living expenses (room and board), university fees, travel expenses and supplies for the exchange student.
- Supporting Financial Documentation
- This includes an official bank statement or official bank letter attesting to the funds available for the respective J-1 research scholar.
- The bank documentation must be labeled with the same name in English as the affidavit of support
- All documents must be in their original format in English, no photocopies accepted
- Copy of the exchange visitor’s passport information page
- Signed insurance guarantee (PDF) and Proof of Sufficient Insurance as per Federal Regulations
Step 3: Once all required information is received, the Office of International Student Services will issue the required immigration form necessary to apply for the J-1 visa (DS-2019). You should anticipate the processing time for your paperwork should take 1 – 3 weeks.
- Receive DS-2019 from the Office of International Student Services
- Pay $180.00 SEVIS I-901 payment
- Make consular appointment for J-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy in your home country
- Obtain J-1 Visa
- Depart for the U.S. no sooner than 30 days prior to program start date
Step 4: Follow appropriate immigration check-in steps for the Office of International Student Services
- Complete Exchange Student and Scholar Orientation
- Complete SEVIS check-in steps and provide copies of passport, DS-2019, insurance policy and I-94 document
- Maintain valid J-1 Status