Research Scholar Checklist
J-1 visa status requirements for research scholars.
A Research Scholar is defined as an individual primarily conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project. The research scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor. Research scholars are limited to those individuals who have completed a terminal degree in their respective field. All requests must be made directly from the academic department.
To Be Submitted by the Academic Department to the Office of International Student Services:
- Letter of Invitation from Supporting Department
- Must be on official university letterhead
- Must be signed by the University Dean
- Must include the research scholars name, purpose of coming to Adelphi and respective duties
- Must include an entry and exit date for their research at Adelphi University
- Must include any costs that will be provided by the University to the scholar and any costs the research scholar must provide to the University
- Must include the research scholars Adelphi supervising representative and contact information
- Updated CV
- Documentation of completion of Terminal Degree and Proof of Adequate Credentials
- Description of Program
- Program description detailing activities scholar will be engaging in including a timeline of events.
- Proficiency in English Language
- English Proficiency Report (PDF) signed by both the inviting faculty member and academic dean indicating adequate English language skills to enable the scholar to successfully participate in the program and function independently in the community.
To Be Submitted by the Exchange Visitor to the Office of International Student Services:
- Form DS-2019: Request for a Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (PDF)
- Affidavit of Support for Exchange Visitor Visa (J-1) (PDF)
- Completed by the financial sponsor of the exchange visitor
- Must be notarized by a legal notary public
- Must include the amount of sponsorship being offered which includes all fees, living expenses (room and board), travel expenses and supplies. (An average estimate is $1,000 per month of stay).
- Supporting Financial Documentation
- This includes an official bank statement or official bank letter attesting to the funds available for the respective J-1 research scholar.
- The bank documentation must be labeled with the same name in English as the affidavit of support
- All documents must be in their original format in English, no photocopies accepted
- Copy of the exchange visitor’s passport identification page
- Signed insurance guarantee (PDF)
- Proof of Sufficient Insurance as per Federal Regulations
Once all required information is received, reviewed and approved, the Office of International Student Services will issue the DS-2019 form necessary to apply for the J-1 exchange visitor visa. Processing these requests will take 1 – 3 weeks.
Each J-1 is responsible for any applicable university fees and expenses including a $75.00 onetime international student and scholar fee.